Photo Friday: Edible


Is this little mushroom edible?


I don’t know much about mushrooms (not much of a fan like Wubby is), so when I see interesting mushrooms growing in our yard or on the land, I wonder if they are edible.  I really need to invest in a good book that I can take with me on my photo journeys, I know.  Everything I saw on the internet today said repeatedly that if you don’t absolutely know for sure if it’s edible, don’t touch it.  Approximately 5% of all mushrooms are dangerous to humans, while only 5% of all mushrooms are edible by humans.  I never realized it was so few!  So that leaves a bunch of funny looking fungi out there to enjoy for their looks and the job they perform in nature, but nothing else.

I found an interesting quiz in my travels.  Why not give it a try and see how well you would survive in an emergency?  Take Sergeant Safari’s Survival Quiz.

To follow other Photo Friday participants, or to participate yourself, please click the logo at the top of the page.

~ by byrningbunny on March 21, 2009.

One Response to “Photo Friday: Edible”

  1. That looks like some type of Coprinus, or inky cap. Some of those are edible, but some contain a chemical that reacts with alcohol and will make you sick if you consume alcohol at the same time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s